Friday, January 18, 2013

What I'm Drinking: Creekbend Traminette

After drinking Easley Winery's Traminette, I was won over by this hybrid grape which has gained popularity in the midwest and especially Indiana. But had I just found one bottle that I loved, or had I found an entire grape?

With that, I searched for another bottle of Traminette, which was no easy task. I lucked out and found the Easley Winery's Traminette in my local Grocery store, but there were no other bottles to be found. I finally found a couple bottles at a local wine store, Vine and Table. The first was Huber Orchard's Traminette, and though I'll have to return to try it, I opted for Creekbend's Traminette (2011 vintage)



Creekbend is actually a sub-label of Oliver Winery, but aims at a higher end market, which is evident by its vintage bottles, 'Estate bottled' text on the label, and higher price tag. While some bottles can fetch upwards of $50 new from the winery, their bottle of Traminette is still reasonably priced at $15.

The wine has a light straw color to it. It is very clear in appearance and unclouded. The aroma has a strong hint of summer flowers. Despite it being a white wine, which I prefer in warmer months, the spice and floral aroma are a nice reminder in winter months of warmer days to come. While Easley Winerie's Traminette was certainly semi-sweet, this wine is much more on the dry side, but still retains some sweetness. 

I bought this bottle of wine to determine if my previous bottle of Traminette was indicative of the grape's style, and thankfully it is. Overall, Creekbend's Traminette is more complicated and an overall better bottle, but given its higher price point, I'd have to only rate it slightly higher at 80 out of 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment