Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What I'm Drinking: Easley Winery's Traminette

For a while now, I've been itching to try a bottle of wine made from Traminette grapes. Traminette is a unique hybrid of Gewurztraminer and a hybrid by renown biochemist Joannes Seyve. It's a white grape that has been breed to be hearty and thrives in the Midwestern climate. So much so, that Traminette is the signature wine of Indiana.

There's a number of wineries in Indiana that produce a Traminette wine due to the promotion of the grape. The first that I found to try is made by Easley Winery from Indianapolis, Indiana. Easley Winery is known more for their Reggae line of wines, but they have a large number of wines under their own label as well.

My first glass of Easley Winery's Traminette was straw colored with a strong floral aroma with a hint of grass mixed in for good measure. The wine itself is on the dryer side (at least dryer than any other wine I've tried recently), but the alcoholic content feels on the lighter than expected. The wine is more acidic than most with very little to no tannins. A bottle of Easley's Traminette runs around $8. For the price range, this is an excellent bottle with more complexity than many of the other wines I've had in this price range. Overall, I'd rate this bottle an 80 out of 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment