Monday, December 24, 2012

Ballmer Peak


XKCD Comic #323

Some people claim to work better under the influence of a bit of alcohol. (Except driving. That's NEVER a good idea. I won't even drink if I know I have to drive in the next 12 hours.) Being a programmer, writing Software is one thing I have tried after a glass of wine. I'm not certain it helped, but it didn't make my code worse. It certainly wasn't as bad as Windows ME.

There's been several studies on the subject and while alcohol appears to help some types of creative thinking, it inhibits others. Another study found alcohol to be detrimental to 3 in 4 drinkers. At best, it appears to be a mixed bag. This question of skeptics.stackexchange.com seems to sum up the studies nicely.

What do you think? Has a glass of wine helped you concentrate or otherwise produce some creative product that wouldn't have been as easy or good without the wine?

No comments:

Post a Comment