Monday, November 5, 2012

What I'm Drinking: Apothic Red Blend

While I tend to drink wines from the Midwest out of economy and preference, Midwestern wines contain only so many tastes. And besides, every once and a while, its nice to step outside.


But on this particular day, I'm drking a bottle my wife picked up for me without reading the label. The 2010 Apothic Red has a startling bold bottle (which is how my wife shops) which fittingly goes along with the bold flavors inside. This California blend of Zinfandel (California's signature grape), Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot.

Since purchasing this bottle, I've started to notice this bottle all around town: the local super market, Target, CVS, and Sam's Club. Vivino ranks the Apothic Red globally in the top 20,000 out of 350,000 wines. in the United States. At around $10, this is becoming a popular wine.

And for all that, I'm not a huge fan. The tastes are aggressive and complex. I drank this wine on its own, but the acidity and tanins screamed for food to be paired with like none of the other wines I've had. But what to pair it with? Take the fruit flavors from the Merlot, the intensity of the Cabernet Sauvignon, the pepper flavors of the ripe Zinfandel, and the spiciness from Syrah, and you have an intriguing wine, but one with conflicting favors to pair with food. Perhaps a spicy seasoned cut of steak with grilled asparagus. Or a spice rubbed a pork steak and roasted corn. Or something Asian to play with Syrah's Strengths.

The nose of the Apothic Red is as complex as the taste. Any fruit seems muted, though others claim to pick up a black curranty smell. Personally, I've never meet a currant, so I cannot be say myself. But I do catch a hint of butterscotch and summer flowers.

The taste, as I said before, is complex and aggressive. The wine is rather dry, but with a medium to high level of acidity and tannins and a higher level of alcohol than most wines. Perhaps this wine would age well?

Overall, I would rate this wine a 60 out of 100. It runs around $10 a bottle and can be found in a large number of places such as grocery stores, convenience stores, and warehouse stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment